Monday, July 13, 2009

RAR bear wrestling













RAR!....ok enough of that.

I enjoyed working with the style. The wrestling bears are a really fun subject matter. I used a stock photo of bears playing to work from. I am not incredibly happy with this final image and could probably spend days trying to tweak it to get it the way I want it. I think the heads could be redone to include a part of the other side of the face like done in the original image. I put the wood texture on pretty heavy this time around too, I am undecided on how much I like the texture, but for the time being I will let it sit. The bears kinda look like they are dancing in middle school to a Lionel Richie song and not fighting....and the brown bears arm looks pretty awkward. However problems and all, It was a good image to work with. I know I am a "newbie" in the illustration side of things so with that taken into consideration, having a "imperfect" image is fine when the experience is the important part. And if I want to go back and work on this, I know where to start.

4 comments:

  1. for some reason the outlines keep coming out blue when i post it on blogger...I will try and fix this after work tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good Mike! I kind of miss the opaque mask like you did on the study. The hairs look better. Awkward drawing is part of this style, I wouldn't worry about the bear's arm.
    For projects this makes 1 complete with your first two projects still needing an original interpretation of the technique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an update on those, I have sketches for the josh agle project and I already started working on the line drawing and watercolor...I hope to have both of these finished by the end of the week.

    I felt like I was missing something with the texture and was not incredibly happy with its end result...Maybe adding the paint texture to the bears from the previous study would fix this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is too awesome for words. I think the paint texture would help; right now it looks like the bears were painted on with a super-thin layer of watered down acrylics or something.

    ReplyDelete