Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Final Proposal

I kinda jumped the gun on those can templates...they would have worked pretty well for a final...however this gives me a chance to do something else that should also be useful. So for my final I am proposing a new portfolio website. I have the shell of a flash portfolio website that I would like to finish before I graduate, however since I do not have flash at home I can't really work on it here for this.

Flash Site: http://www.grin3design.com/members/freeman/portfolio/portfolio.html

One of the problems that I started to notice with my flash website is some people are expecting a more "clean" and "traditional" website. However when making the site, I was (and still am) all about flash design and wanted to go to town with flash. When I applied for my internship I put on my resume that I understand concepts in web design as well as integrating photoshop, illustrator, indesign and flash elements with HTML. During the interview they asked if I had a website of any sort or even just the beginning of one. I showed them this flash site I had and the guy interviewing me said "I would have really liked to see this understanding of integrating other things with html in your website like you say you can do on your resume...The flash site is really cool and really shows you understand flash way more than I do, just not really what I was expecting."

The other major problem was the style of artwork I was using. It was very hit or miss...either the viewer fell in love with its personality or thought that it was too childish and did not look like a "professional" artist drew it which made the entire site seem less impressive to the viewer.

So having a more "traditional" site should be worth the time putting together to display these things. I am going to look into resources again that were looked into previously for interactive design (shadowbox, blogspot...). I am really curious about this deviant art portfolio thing and really like where Jessica Pine is going with her site. Both of those will be looked at to see how well they can save time without compromising what I want in my portfolio site. I mainly want a way to be able to separate my work in categories while also having a spot to blog and keep updates in but I do not want the site to look like it was just one of the site's default templates.

I don't plan on finishing this before the end of the week. However I plan on giving myself a good head start.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good. Harass Jessica and get as much info out of her as you can. She should be putting this info up on her blog posts, so read those and ask her questions. Sounds like it was a good interview. I definitely agree that a website needs to be more than just one tool, one trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The interview was at the beginning of the summer...it went amazingly well. The guy interviewing me at the end goes "ok well I will call you on Monday to offer you the position, I just have to go through the formalities with the boss before I actually hire someone." Definitely made me feel more comfortable with my portfolio and interview skills as well as justified spending so much time and money in college.

    ReplyDelete