Thursday, September 10, 2009

Clark and Mitchell (day 2) as well as a short things to do list

Wednesday I stood at pretty much the same spot, however I turned about 45 degrees and aimed at this white shed that looked pretty run down. Today was also day 1 of using the new $16 easel my dad modified to have a shelf and cupholders (awesome), as well as day 1 of using gesso'ed Masonite panels. I like how inexpensive the Masonite is in comparison to canvas panels and I like how the paint goes on. It seems to be a smoother painting experience all around.

Reference Photo:
Photobucket

Painting:
Photobucket

I really like how the painting is coming along. I need to push the value in it more. The more it sits on my desk the more its starting to grow on me. The shed was painted on with a palette knife.

Things to do:
1. gesso more masonite
2. touch up painting
3. add lightbox or shadowbox to my blog. (these are neat little tools that I used on my final for digital illustration (highly recommended to me by Professor Babcock and Jessica Pine), and I like the ability to allow images to start as thumbnails, therefor viewers can still see the painting in a larger size without having to sacrifice space in the blog itself.)

Lightbox reference and shameless plug:
http://mikefreemanart.blogspot.com/

4. Go back and replace all my images with thumbnails and link them with shadowbox commands...also take new pictures in better light and at a better angle so I can actually get in and crop away from the painting.
5. If i get time this weekend, go paint outside somwhere...afterwords clean one of my palette boxes

A final thought and gameplan for class:
I am going into this class knowing that I didn't do too well in painting 1 and am not the best person at actually rendering things accurately away from my computer. this doesn't really concern me all too much because in the "real world" I will have access to my computer and my sketching abilities are average. However my plan here in this class is to not be concerned with having a successful or failed painting, but learning and getting better each class and with each painting. One of my friends is a huge poker buff...and at one point in time he said something that ive kinda kept with me...he said "getting frustrated and upset over losing doesn't do you any good, analyze why you lost and what happened so in a similar situation you don't make the same mistake." I think poker and art kinda do sit next to each other quite well...it takes skill, patience, practice and well..sometimes you just get lucky

1 comment: